Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Hip Surgery Done



























I had total hip replacement surgery on my left hip last Friday, April 24, 2009. It hasn't been too bad with pain pills, etc.

Just before I went into the operating room, the anestheseoligist explained the two types of anesthesia that I could get. One was the general anesthesia where they put you out and have to put a tube down your throat to breathe. The second was a spinal where they gave you a shot in the spinal cord and you were numb from your waist down for 12 hours. I had read up on both of them and had decided that I would do the spinal. However, in his explanation, he mentioned that I might wake up during the operation and hear doctors talking and other loud noises. It made me hesitate when I heard that, but I went ahead with the spinal.



So at some time during the operation, I remember hearing the sound of a saw, a drill, and a hammer. I remember saying to myself that the anestheseoligist had been right, you really could hear those sounds and it didn't hurt! I was more amazed than concerned. I must have fallen right back to sleep.



Anyway, I thought that I would update the blog and let everyone know that I am still here.

4 comments:

Miss Me said...

I'm so glad that everything went well. It's good that you didn't stay too long in the hospital...that food could kill ya!!! Hopefully recovery will be quick and you'll be running races in no time!!!

(me)linda said...

We're thinking about coming down this weekend. Oakley is getting baptized, and we've been missing you and Mom. Are you feeling up to company?

Jason Alisynn and kids said...

Lookin' pretty stylish there uncle Bryan!! You should invest in the hospital gown look, it GREAT on you!! :) We are so glad it all went well. Let us know if you need anything. xox

Bryan said...

The hospital gown is more of an "open" look, especially in the back. It was a little too breezy for me.